Since, I don't eat red meat or pork, I have no idea how Shepard's Pie taste; but I just love the idea of mash potatoes loaded with peas & carrots dripping in gravy all in a pie crust!!
So, I make my version using ground Turkey and it is delicious; so hometown perfect and cozy all snuggled up in a pie.
I'm a "little of this & that" recipe kinda girl so season & add to your taste.
chicken broth (32 oz)
carrots (chopped, I like a lot)
frozen peas (about 8 oz)
onion (large & chopped)
garlic (about 3 cloves finely chopped)
(2) 9-inch deep dish pie crust
salt & pepper season to taste
1. Boil your potatoes
2. Saute your ground turkey in olive oil with onion, garlic & carrots. Season w/thyme, salt & pepper
3. Add chicken broth & frozen peas. Let it get good and bubbly, throw in a couple pats of butter
4. Add a little flour to your brothy yumminess to thicken it a little
5. While it's boiling, mash your potatoes and season to your liking (more butter:)
6. Now put your pie crusts on a foil lined cookie sheet
7. Load the pies with your turkey broth (I always score the bottom of crust a little)
8. Top with mashed potatoes
9. Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees cover with aluminum foil
10. Let pies rest for a little bit about 15 minutes
My broth did not get super thick, which worked out great - pies weren't dry and I did have extra broth to pour on.
The perfect thing about this meal is that it makes two! Perfect to share with a friend or save for later. It is a little time consuming to make but so worth it!!
I'm sharing this recipe here, come join me!