Thursday, September 5, 2013

Shepherd's Pie...Turkey style!


Since, I don't eat red meat or pork, I have no idea how Shepard's Pie taste; but I just love the idea of mash potatoes loaded with peas & carrots dripping in gravy all in a pie crust!! 

So, I make my version using ground Turkey and it is delicious; so hometown perfect and cozy all snuggled up in a pie.  


I'm a "little of this & that" recipe kinda girl so season & add to your taste.

Ingredients
ground turkey
chicken broth (32 oz)
carrots (chopped, I like a lot)
frozen peas (about 8 oz)  
onion (large & chopped)
garlic (about 3 cloves finely chopped)
flour 
mashed potatoes
(2) 9-inch deep dish pie crust
thyme (lots)
salt & pepper season to taste

1.  Boil your potatoes
2.  Saute your ground turkey in olive oil with onion, garlic & carrots.  Season w/thyme, salt & pepper
3.  Add chicken broth & frozen peas.  Let it get good and bubbly, throw in a couple pats of butter
4.  Add a little flour to your brothy yumminess to thicken it a little
5.  While it's boiling, mash your potatoes and season to your liking (more butter:)
6.  Now put your pie crusts on a foil lined cookie sheet
7.  Load the pies with your turkey broth (I always score the bottom of crust a little)
8.  Top with mashed potatoes
9.  Bake for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees cover with aluminum foil
10. Let pies rest for a little bit about 15 minutes

My broth did not get super thick, which worked out great - pies weren't dry and I did have extra broth to pour on.

The perfect thing about this meal is that it makes two!  Perfect to share with a friend or save for later.  It is a little time consuming to make but so worth it!! 




post signature
I'm sharing this recipe here, come join me!
The Best Blog Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making me smile from your sweet comment!