Tuesday, May 1, 2012

An Amazing Day for us



Since today is the last day of April, I realized I can't let April slip away without giving a little shout out to National Poetry Month!
(ok, I missed it! Before I could finalize this post, my husband called and said,"I'm home! Do you want to go to lunch?" How could I pass a date with Andy since he has been away at sea or pass on a date period!  This day was already amazing, Nyla was attending an after school program "cupcake wars" so I started the day with extra time and what a feeling that is!  Nyla was really excited about her day and I was excited for her, I planted plants, took our dogs for a walk, ran into an old friend on the walk, the day was beautiful and sun drenched, I made some appointments, I was accomplishing so much! My husband is home, oh yeah, we saw friends during our lunch date, had friends over for dinner, our little friend, Leo scored his first soccer goal, the day was filled with giggles and a much needed ease, Nyla got into a new reading level-you go girl!, her books came in from the book fair, she read a ton before bed. It seemed like my day was filled with spontaneous burst of friendship, including my Internet friends!  Thank you everyone, you filled my day with happiness and I went to sleep with a smile on my face :)  

Back to Poetry month :)
As I was starting my scavenger hunt to decide what poem to feature, I found this poem in the "special these mean a lot to me I just have to find a place to put them" stack on my desk. It was right on top so my search didn't last too long.  As I looked at the tattered and stained paper and read the words from my wedding day, I'm proud that it pretty much holds true today.  


This poem, A Creed to Live By written by Nancye Sims was a poem that I discovered moments before my wedding day and I just thought it was so beautiful and described perfectly how we live.  I quickly and at the very last minute made copies of it and gave it to everyone who attended.

A CREED TO LIVE BY
by Nancye Sims

Don't underestimate your worth by comparing yourself with others.
It is because we are different that each of us is special.

Don't set your goals by what other people deem important.
Only you know what is best for you.

Don't take for granted the things closest to your heart.
Cling to them as you would your life, for without them, life is meaningless.

Don't let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past or for the future.
By living your life one day at a time, you will live all the days of your life.

Don't give up when you still have something to give
it is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.

Don't shut love out of your life by saying it's impossible to find.
The quickest way to receive love is to give love;
The fastest way to lose love is to hold to it too tightly;
And the best way to keep love is to give it wings.

Don't dismiss your dreams;
To be without dreams is to be without hope;
To be without hope is to be without purpose.

Don't run through life so fast that you forget not only where you've been,
But also where you're going.

Life is not a race but a journey to be savored
Each and every step of the way.


Way back in 2000, we didn't have the Internet and I'm blown away at how far we've come; to view this poem accurately and in its entirety as well as Ms. Sims other poems please go here: http://nancyesims.com/it/creedwithapplet.htm




Thank you Ms. Sims and all the poets who have shared their works of poetry art for us to discover!!
Here's one of my poems I wrote called, If my  dream...
http://mommyspinkielipgloss.blogspot.com/2012/02/if-my-dreamdream-beam-16.html

Thank you for reading!  xxxxoooo Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making me smile from your sweet comment!