Saturday, July 7, 2012

NOT SO CONVENTIONAL REASONS WHY I LOVE THE HELP...



The Help, by Kathryn Stockett

If you haven't read it, I don't want to spoil it for you but I just have to say why I love it in a non-book review sort of way.  (in no specific order)

It's Kathryn Stockett's first novel, which gives me incredible inspiration, hope and drives me to keep plugging along at my books.

This was the first time Nyla and I laid in bed reading together - our own books, (Nyla is now reading chapter books whew hew!).  We're laying there, I'm reading The Help and she is reading, The Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff Kinney for hours until we fell asleep.  It became a nightly thing while Andy was away fishing and for this, I will always remember these books and this special moment.

I found out to remove a broken light bulb from a socket use a potato.  I can't wait to try this!  Our house in Costa Rica has had so many broken light bulbs stuck in the sockets, if this works it will really make our day! 

My exclusion is tangible...I have never felt the feeling that Skeeter felt; luckily I've always had friends that accepted and embraced my opinions and differences.  So I feel lucky.  Does that mean I need to stretch more in my views, I don't know; I'm for love not hate.  I'm glad I wasn't around during that time in history.  I would like to think I would be like Skeeter.

Even though November 8th is the tragic day of Treelore's death, out of all the days of the year Ms. Stockett picked that one, anytime I hear that date I think of the glorious day my beautiful daughter was born.

My circumstances are different from Aibileen's but I know the dread of the date and the loss she and others in the story felt.  

Grits!  I love grits, so I tried this cute little recipe that Aibileen sweetly prepared for Mae Mobley's birthday.  Instead of strawberries, I used blueberries.  (Andy liked it, Nyla not so much, me...I love grits :)

I celebrate the New Year's Day tradition of eating black eye peas for good luck.  So, Skeeter and I not only have the love of writing in common but a tradition as well.

Minny, I'm just so thankful for her, she's tough, blunt and got your back.

For more information about The Help visit http://kathrynstockett.com/.

There are so many more reasons to read, The Help; this is just a few of mine.  What are yours?  Sending you hugs and love! 
xxxxxoooo Michelle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for making me smile from your sweet comment!